Friday 30 March 2007

R.I.P. Yellow Swivel Stick (2001-2007)

Robb, Renae and I went out on the harbour last weekend to see our little suburb and city from a new perspective. Unlike our last trip, Renae paddled forward quite well and I managed to make it back to the shore without feeling sea sick. The harbour was calm (2-3 knots) however, that’s not stopped me from feeling sick before. There’s hope for me yet! Ian and James I could just take up this sea-kayaking business! I need to work a bit more on upper body strength though! Girl arms… whimpish! I think tomorrow my arms will hurt… like they did after my superb fast bowling to Robert last summer after a few too many wines. It’s not good to exert yourself whilst drinking because the pain’s not there to advise you, “Stop now”.

I am on two weeks holiday and despite other people being on holiday… or having quit their jobs (won’t mention names!) I have nobody flying in these holidays. Quite pathetic really! I hope this is not an indication of the holidays to come over the next 3 years. I am heading to the west coast of Viti Levu… I’ll maybe even head off to some of the islands. A week on the beach is in order. It’s been no small feat, adapting to the international school and its curriculum and settling into Suva life. I figure I’ve earned it!

Renae’s off to Australia for four weeks and on Tuesday I move into my new place! Can’t wait… already on the hunt for some speakers to hook my computer up to. It’s a one bedroom place with jack fruit, cumquat, lemon and mango tress out the back. It’s lush. It also has a nice little decking which I will share with the neighbors and I am quite sure I will be very happy in my new digs. My bedroom has aircon… which is quite luxurious… though I am getting quite use to the heat here and for the first time since I arrived I wore my cords (in the evening)! The best thing about my new place is my neighbours… a lovely couple and their new beautiful little baby. I am missing my nephews and nieces! L I am sad to be leaving Lami behind… it’s a nice little suburb and I was just starting to get to know a few people. But I am sure the next suburb will be just as good. I am right next to USP (Uni of the Sth Pacific) so I will be able to ride my bike to the gym and the National Aquatic Centre… so I can keep myself fit and healthy.

Very VERY sad news… my swivel stick has come to the end of its life. The swivel stick was a souvenir I kept from a trip to Thailand in 2001 with Banksworth. Swivel stick has accompanied me along moves from Albert Park to South Melbourne to two places in Wangaratta. She has stirred many a gin and tonic and has enjoyed her space amongst my tea spoons. Unfortunately, my housemates didn’t seem to appreciate my sense of loss. Swivel stick was from the Banana Discotheque at Patong Beach Hotel and life certainly wont be the same without her. Stirring a G&T with anything else wont do… you get that ghastly clanking noise against the glass. I am on the look out for a new swiveller. I know… no swivel stick can replace her… but one has to try and move on.

PS I found a volunteer who is going to teach me the art of cooking Dalo…. Apparently there’s some myths surrounding this whole affair… so you can look forward to a blog as soon as my offer comes through.

PPS The latest victims in the fight against mould are my cap and tea canister. Definitely need a Howard Park Winery cap now that this Yalumba cap has fallen victim. They sell a heaps of Yalumba wine here. Lots of whites (Sauv Blancs) from Malbourough, NZ too.

No comments: