Wednesday 21 March 2007

World Water Day



Was sitting in bed this morning, reading today's Fiji Times editorial which went something like this: ... Fiji has nothing to celebrate on World Water Day because of the erratic supply of water due to years of neglecting the upkeep of infrastructure...effects on health… yadda yadda... what's the interim government going to do about it?...

As if on cue, whilst I am reading this, housemate enters bathroom this morning and makes a vocal kaniption upon discovering the shower is not going to provide a drop beyond what was already sitting in the pipes. Ha! Happy World Water Day!

To rub more salt in the wound, 10 seconds later it begins bucketing down! I refused to go to work without a shower! So, I stripped down to my birthday suit and took my soap and toothbrush out onto the balcony and had a grand time watching the neighbours' expressions as I cleaned myself.

On the way to school I passed a burst water main (not a rare sight in Suva) and put two and two together.

Meanwhile... at school after a massive down pour my car floated about one meter away from where I initially parked it, as the drainage infrastructure is some what lacking too (see above photos).

How strange... in a city that rains so many days of the year... that people go without water.

I am always thinking about Australia and the severe water restrictions, which keeps my complaining about the rain at bay.

NB: Never let the truth get in the way of a good story... the balcony and car incidents are entirely fictional (I don’t even have a car! However, I did think about popping out onto the balcony).... the rest of the story is true though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

N is for Nuffy