Friday 11 May 2007

Hindi wedding



Last Friday night was Joeteshyna's wedding. She was our French teacher but now she's gone to live in the States (something to do with the bride groom not being Fijian). The wedding ceremony was the last 1.5 hours of three days of preparation and started at 7:30pm. It's the first Hindi wedding I've been to and the first wedding that did not serve alcohol. It was also vegetarian. At the end of the ceremony we were fed by Hare Krishna.. lovely dahl and roti and vege curries with fruit juice and sweets. We ate with our hands too. So quite a few wedding firsts for me. Afterwards we went into old Suva town to hit the gin in our Salwahs! Jo (Head of English, soon to be living in same publess town as my brother and his family and my partner in all things criminal) put the finishing touches on me in the car park before going in.. a tikka in between the eyes. I thought I was quite dressed up but most of the women there were wearing salwahs with lots of beading and sequins. So, Jo and I were like the poor plain cousins.

No comments: